William G. Wright
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution – Arbitration
- Workers’ Compensation
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation – Deceptive Trade Practices
- Construction Litigation
- Estate Litigation
- Consumer Class Actions
- Construction Litigation
- Unfair & Deceptive Trade Practice
- Products Liability
- Mass Torts in both the state and federal courts
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- North Carolina
- Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Buies Creek, NC
- Juris Doctor with Honors (Cum Laude), 1999
- University of North Carolina, at Wilmington
- Bachelor of Arts, 1993
Awards & Service
- Super Lawyers – Personal Injury General: Plaintiff (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Equal Access to Justice – Pro Bono Publico (2014-2016)
- Legal Aid of North Carolina – Lawyers on the Line Volunteer Program (2014- present)
- For Masonboro Island Reserve, Board of Directors (2012 – 2014)
- Port City Soccer Club, Board of Directors (2012-2016)
- Port City Soccer Club, Youth Soccer Coach (2006-2016)
- Pleasure Island Soccer Association Soccer Coach (2013-2018)
- Halo Hoops, Youth Basketball Coach (2007-2017)
- B.S.A. Troop 19, Adult Leader (2012 – present)
- B.S.A. Pack 200, Adult Leader (2008-2012)
- Surfrider Foundation, Local Chapter Advisory Board (2009-2011)
William Wright is a problem solver. That’s why he exited the University of North Carolina at Wilmington in 1993 with a history degree, a teaching certificate in social studies, and plans to mold young minds.
After teaching in Brunswick County Public Schools, William glimpsed a way to broaden his impact on southeastern North Carolina, where he has deep family roots. He attended Campbell University School of Law. He’s been tackling some of the region’s biggest problems as a lawyer ever since.
In law school, William was a Notes and Comments Writer and an Articles Editor for the Campbell Law Review. William also received numerous awards and honors throughout his law school career and was inducted into the national leadership honor society Omicron Delta Kappa. He graduated cum laude in 1999.
William played an early role in shaping the law in North Carolina. While a student, William held a job as a researcher for the Pattern Jury Instruction Committee of the North Carolina Conference of Superior Court Judges. Immediately after graduation, William clerked for the Honorable K. Edward Greene on the North Carolina Court of Appeals. William joined forces with Gary Shipman in 2000.
As a partner in Shipman & Wright, William’s practice covers litigation over personal injuries, wrongful death, construction defects, business disputes, unfair and deceptive trade practices, municipal litigation, and appellate advocacy in both the state and federal courts. William also represents several closely held businesses in southeastern North Carolina advising them on their transactional and planning needs. In 2006, William became a Certified Mediator by the State of North Carolina’s Dispute Resolution Commission.
William has traveled extensively in Latin America and speaks fluent Spanish. He is married to Melissa McDowell Wright, and they have three children.